Sunday, May 22, 2011

"Silver Shadow" Teaser Scene One: Enemy

NOTE: This is just a short dialogue, not a full scene. But as I wrote it, it did something to my heart and I felt compelled to share it. Hope that’s okay with you.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

“We’re not having this conversation,” Kyla told him.

Caden didn’t hide how frustrated that made him. “We need to,” he said. “You need to understand that there’s more involved here than you're willing to admit. And just because you’re mad at God and angry about what happened to your dad, that doesn’t mean you can keep ignoring that.”

Kyla glared at him. “Don’t bring my dad into this,” she warned him.

“I’m not trying to hurt you, Kyla, but we have to lay everything out in the open here so we can see what’s really going on. I mean how can you keep running after all you’ve seen?” The idea obviously baffled him.

“Because I have to,” she said through clenched teeth.

Caden looked pained. “Why?”

She answered him in a rigid voice. “If I stop,” she told him, “if I turn around and look at this God you still want me to believe in, then I have to face the fact that the one thing I loved more than anything in my life let my father die. I would have to accept the fact that there is no safety, no promise or assurance of hope. That He doesn’t protect those who love Him. He doesn’t guard those who fear Him.”

She took a deep breath when she realized she wasn’t breathing.

“My dad was the best man I’ve ever known, Caden. He was faithful his whole life, and he believed in those things. Trust me when I say you don’t want me to believe in God. If you make me face Him now, you will be forcing me to become His enemy.”

No comments:

Post a Comment